Working in the USA is an opportunity to many people. However you need to prepare good for it, starting with successful application. Below you will find a review for getting a job in the USA, highlighting the most important points of this procedure.
- You require a visa to work in the USA;
- If you work and live in the USA without visa you are considered an “illegal alien”;
- For temporary working visa you must apply at the USA Embassy in your home country;
- If you want to work and live in the USA for permanent you need a Permanent Residence Visa (Green card), you can apply for a Green card here!
Work application procedure
- The Internet is your main source for vacancies, applications and information about getting job in the USA;
- You can check our Work in USA page for useful links. New information and links will be added on a regular basis;
- USA is a big country. Common practice for the job applications in one state can be different in other states, so check about the local customs and formalities;
- In practice you must “sell yourself” – the US application process is very commercial.
How to write a resume in the USA
- Resume stands for CV in the USA;
- Your resume is used to persuade the employer to invite you for an interview, use it like it’s your marketing tool and adapt it for the market in which you want to use it;
- Your best option is to write a short profile on yourself and to use power words and action verbs in a short and punchy sentences.
- Your resume must be “scan friendly”, it’s common procedure for the employer to scan your resume. Avoid using bold and italic fonts;
- The objective and the goal of your career is important, it’s a good option to start your resume mentioning them.
How to write application letter
- The application letter must be in short, professional style;
- If you know your employer’s name it’s good to start with “Dear Mr./Ms. X” and to end it with “Yours sincerely”;
- Use “Dear Sir/Madam” if you don’t know your employer name, for end use “Yours faithfully”;
- It is not unusual to mention the expected salary in your letter, so you can do it if you wish;
- You must include your telephone number in the last paragraph of your letter.
In our next article we mention the second part of getting a job in the USA – what to do and what to don’t in the Job interview.